Items in the collections and archives may be researched by outside parties with valid scholarly research request 30 days prior to desired research date. The request will outline what is requested for research, who will do the research, the type of research to be done, where the work will be carried out, the duration of the project, the final product of the research, etc. Research that requires intrusive or destructive testing will not be allowed.
The Curator will evaluate the validity of the request, the stability of the object, method of research, and use of the research results, and together with the Director, will determine if the research will be allowed. The Museum may request references of researchers. The Museum reserves the right to deny any requests that may jeopardize the object, integrity of the Museum, or are unethical or unfounded.
Creditable research institutions may request the object to be loaned for the purpose of research (see outgoing loans policy). All other research will be conducted within the Museum building under the supervision of the Curator, Registrar, or Director. The Museum must be provided with a credit line and a final draft of research findings at the conclusion of the research.
Curatorial staff can be requested to conduct research for an hourly fee. Any photocopies, scans or reproductions will be charged according to the fee schedule. Responses will be sent via email.
Reproduction from the Archives
Original photographs in the collection may be reproduced for research and reporting purposes. A written request shall be made by the researcher at least 30 days prior to the need of the photograph.
It is the researcher’s responsibility to gain copyright permission where applicable. Research will provide a copy of permission for use from copyright holder. Reproduction fees shall be paid before work occurs according to the fee schedule. No original documents or photos will be released to researcher for any reason.
Photographs may be used for stated purposes only and must be given proper credit of “Courtesy of the Hastings Museum, Hastings, Nebraska.”
Photographs of the Collection
Photographs of objects may be requested by researchers unless copyrights exist. It will be the researcher’s responsibility to seek copyright permission. Permission must be granted in writing and a copy supplied to the Museum.
Museum staff will take digital images of artifacts or specimens in the collection with a valid request in accordance to the fee schedule. Copyright of all photographs will belong to the Hastings Museum. The Museum has limited photo studio tools so images may or may not be well lit. Research can request resolution accordance to needs.
All photographs of the Museum collection may be used for stated purposes only and must be given proper credit of “Courtesy of the Hastings Museum, Hastings, Nebraska.”
The library at the Hastings Museum is a collection and is governed by the same policies that apply to the other collections. As part of a publicly supported museum, the library has a certain obligation to the community. Therefore, in accordance with the Board of Trustees action on 11/05/74, interested and qualified persons will be permitted, under appropriate supervision, to use the valuable written resources in their research. At no time shall any library books be removed from the premises.
All fees are subject to tax and actually postage or shipping charges. Prices are subject to change without notice.
- All copies from paper materials will be made by collection staff
- All digital copies are delivered via email or researcher provided jump drive.
- Researcher bares the responsibility of gaining applicable copyright to material intended for reproduction.
- Additional use fees may apply.
- Black and white 8 ½” x 11″ $.25 per page
- Black and white 8 ½” x 14″ $.30 per page
- Black and white 11″ x 17″ $.50 per page
- Color copies add $.75 per page
- PDF file $.25 per page
Digital Images from Scans
- Reference copy 100 DPI $.25
- 300 to 800 DPI $20.00
- 801 to 1200 DPI $30.00
Large format printing
- $2 per linear foot (up to 36 inches wide), bond paper.
- B&W or full color, same price
- No design assistance. Printing only available as staff time allows, call ahead.
- Research by Museum Staff
- Up to one hour Free
- Each additional hour $30
- Digital Images Taken by Museum Staff Museum holds copyright to the images produced.
- 1-4 objects up to four views per object $15 per object
Reproduction/photograph request form must be submitted.
- Photographs will be supplied as staff time allows. A 30-day prior request for photographic works is suggested.
- The Museum reserves the right to deny any requests that may jeopardize the object, integrity of the Museum, or are unethical or unfounded.
- No original documents, photos, artifacts, or specimens will be released for any reason.
- User is responsible for obtaining any and all copyright permission prior to duplication. A copy of the permission must be provided to the Museum.
- Duplications must be used for stated purposes only and must be given proper credit of “Courtesy of the Hastings Museum, Hastings, Nebraska.”
- Use fees in addition to reproduction fees shall be paid before work occurs according to the fee schedules. All fees are subject to tax and actually postage or shipping charges. Fees are
subject to change without notice.
Books, eBooks, Magazines, Journals, Newspapers, Newsletters
- Cover/Jacket for all types of publications $100 per image
- Under 5,000 edition copies $30 per image
- 5,001 to 15,000 $45 per image
- 15,001 to 25,000 $60 Per image
- Over 25,001 $100 per image
Motion Picture, Commercial Broadcasting, or Internet Based Productions
- Independent film, training production $100 per image
- Commercial broadcasting film or video $200 per image
Advertising and Exhibition
Includes any printed ads in magazines, newspapers, journals, podcasts, brochures; broadcast, etc.,
as well as displays at tradeshows, fairs, and museums.
- Within the state of Nebraska $50 per image / one ad
- Mountain-Plains region (CO, KS, MT, ND, NM, OK, SD, TX, WY) $100 per image / one ad
- National $300 per image / one ad
- World Market $500 per image / one ad
Includes posters, mugs, greeting cards, postcards, calendars, t-shirts etc.
- Up to 1,000 copies $40 per image
- 1,000 to 5,000 copies $60 per image
- 5,0001 to 10,000 $120
- Over 10,000 $200
- 5 or more objects $20 per object