In 1933, Ted purchased some property south of Hastings where he began to breed hogs, cattle, and mink. He soon found himself in business with Merle M. Snyder, a livestock dealer who also owned a stockyard in Hastings. Ted would assist Snyder in hauling cattle, hogs, and other livestock to and from the stockyards. Soon, hauling livestock became an integral part of the business. Smith’s Disposal and Trucking continued to operate as a small business out of the Smith home. At the height of its operations, Smith’s serviced nearly 2,000 customers and offered short and long distance livestock transport. After Ted’s death, his son, Ted Jr. continued to operate the business until it was sold in 2000.
During the 1940s, the City of Hastings was facing numerous struggles, including a garbage and sanitation issue. The streets were covered with garbage and the rat infestation had increased dramatically. It soon became apparent that the city was going to need to do something. In 1948, the city council established guidelines for the disposal of garbage within the city limits. As part of the new sanitation rules, any disposal service that hauled trash, must have a covered sanitation truck, and a contract with the city for operation. On April 25, 1949, the City approved a contract with Ted but citing legal constraints, they withdrew the contract on May 19. The City finally settled the sanitation issue on September 15, 1949, when they issued two contracts to Ted and A.S. Woodward of Woodward’s Disposal.
Ted was very active within the community. He was a member of the First Church of God where he taught Sunday school, a member of the Men’s Club, and served on the church board from 1966-1971. Ted was Worshipful Master of the True American Lodge #6, a Prince Hall Freemasonry Lodge, in Grand Island. He was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star Chapter #18 in Grand Island, where he served as Associate Worthy Patron. He was also a member of the Hastings Chamber of Commerce from 1958 until his death in 1977. He is buried in Parkview Cemetery in Hastings.